Earlier this spring I planted an abundance of radish seeds, expecting that most of them wouldn’t sprout. Lo and behold they all sprouted, so we have been eating radishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner for two weeks now. The latest radish dish I concocted was this potato salad.
I find a lot of potato salads are a little lacklustre. They tend to be too heavy on the mayo, and the potatoes themselves seem overly starchy. The radishes in this dish add a refreshing, peppery crunch, and the fresh herbs brighten the overall flavour.
I used a mixture of red, white, and purple baby potatoes, because I like the variety of colour they add.
Start by prepping your potatoes! Chop them into halves, or quarters if they’re a bit big, then throw them into a large pot. Cover them with water, add a generous sprinkling of salt, then bring the potatoes to a boil. Let them cook until tender, but still slightly firm. You don’t want to overcook them or they’ll break apart when you start mix them up with all the other ingredients.
Once your potatoes are cooked, drain them and set them aside to cool. Start prepping the rest of the veggies when the potatoes are still just slightly warm, but no longer hot.
Thinly slice your radishes, celery and spring onions. Add these to your potatoes along with some fresh dill and parsley. Toss them gently until combined.
In a small dish, add mayo, dijon mustard and paprika for colour. Stir until combined. You could use a smoothy or grainy dijon, depending on your preference. I quite like the grainy mustard, but didn’t have on hand this time.
Pour the dressing over the potatoes and veggies and mix until while coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I don’t think you need much salt, but I do recommend adding generous amount of fresh cracked pepper.
Potato Salad with Radishes
- 1.5 lbs gem potatoes
- 2 small radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1-2 tsp fresh dill (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup mayonaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop the baby potatoes into halves, or quarters, depending on their size. Add them to a large saucepan, cover with water and generously salt. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook until tender, but firm. Drain and set aside to cool until they're just slightly warm still.
- Add the thinly sliced radishes, celery, spring onions, parsley and dill to the potatoes. Gently toss to combine.
- In a small dish, mix together mayo, dijon mustard and paprika.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss until evenly coated.
- Season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and salt.